Family-style dining can be a bridge between fast food and fine dining and offers a moderately priced menu in a more casual environment.
Family-style restaurants are tailored to attract families and large groups while providing a wide-ranging menu and a table service using large platters and servings.
A few popular family-style chains include cheesecake factory, apple bees, olive garden, and longhorn steakhouse.
Key benefits of a family-style restaurant:
- Diners and families can enjoy an inviting and casual environment with a menu that offers multiple options for all age groups and cuisines. Sharing platters and more significant portions also allow for a more enjoyable experience, letting families and large groups gel together and enjoy the food.
- Family restaurants also offer play areas, toys, and activities for kids, so parents can enjoy their food and have a good experience at the table.
- Family dining allows more prominent groups to have a unique experience by enabling better conversation making and helping them build stronger connections. Through sharing their food, people can quickly build social relationships, enjoy a wide variety of food, and have an enjoyable time.
Business considerations for family-style restaurants:
- The food menu has to be wide-ranged and moderately priced with family-style restaurants to attract large groups and families. This can potentially result in lower profit margins and provide restaurant owners some flexibility to test and try various recipes and menus.
- Family-style dining can offer more efficient space utilization, with joined together and larger tables taking up less space compared to buffet stations or smaller and more spaced apart serving tables. This can allow restaurant owners to generate higher revenues with lower floor and restaurant space.